Mi4c ships with different Rear Camera Sensors, some units are using the Sony IMX258 sensor while others are using Samsung ISOCELL SK3M2 sensor. Both sensors are good at taking pictures but many users seen much better quality having the Sony sensor. The Samsung sensor also is buggy on some custom ROM builds. To check the manufacturer of your rear camera sensor, follow the guides below.
Rooted MIUI ROMs
- Settings > About Phone > Kernel Version (tap 5 times)
- Then Hardware test
- Go to version info and scroll to bottom
- backcamera = “imx258_sunny” or “s5k3m2_sunny”
- “imx258_sunny” means Sony IMX258 Rear Camera Sensor
- “s5k3m2_sunny” means Samsung S5K3M2 ISOCELL Rear Camera Sensor
- front_camera = “OV5670_sunny” means Omnivision5670 Front Camera sensor
Display manufacturer is also displayed here
Non-rooted MIUI ROMs
- Clear all the recent apps then open the main camera app
- Dial *#*#284#*#* and wait for the bug report to finish.
- After bug report has done from the notification, you’ll find the result as a zip file, then extract it.
- Open the extracted bugreport .log file using text viewer (w/ find text feature) or you can use UC Browser.
- After you open it, search for “IMX” or “S5K” (only one will have a result, the other will fail to search text)
- IMX = Sony IMX258 Rear Camera Sensor
- S5K = Samsung S5K3M2 ISOCELL Rear Camera Sensor
Bonus: “OV5670” = Omnivision Front Camera Sensor